Benjamin P. Bedard
Benjamin Bedard focuses on international trade, customs and transportation law. He advises corporations and governments on all matters of Canadian and international trade and investment law. Ben regularly appears before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal in anti-dumping and countervailing duty proceedings and customs appeals.
He has extensive experience with trade-related litigation before NAFTA binational panels, the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal. Ben regularly advises clients on NAFTA and WTO issues and disputes, including NAFTA investor-state arbitrations. He is one of a very few lawyers in private practice in Canada to have argued before a WTO dispute settlement panel.
In recognition of his experience in trade remedies matters, the Government of Canada appointed Ben to the NAFTA Chapter 19 (Trade Remedies) Roster of panelists.
Ben is recognized in numerous publications as one of Canada's leading international trade lawyers. Prior to forming Conlin Bedard, Ben was a partner at a large international law firm.
Ben also advises clients in the aviation industry of all aspects of Canadian aviation matters, including licensing, charters, tariffs, NAFTA specialty air services and aircraft leasing, import, export and registration. He also advises clients in the rail sector on all aspects of Canadian rail regulation, including interswitching, level of service obligations, running rights, cost apportionment matters and rail car import and export.
- LL.M., University of Cambridge
- LL.B., University of New Brunswick
- B.B.A., University of New Brunswick
- Bar of Ontario
Memberships and activities
- Law Society of Upper Canada
Ranking and Recognition
- Chambers Global: International Trade/WTO
- The International Who's Who of Public Procurement Lawyers
- The International Who's Who of Trade and Customs Lawyers
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: International Trade Regulation
- Best Lawyers in Canada: International Trade and Finance Law, including recognition as the 2015 and 2017 Ottawa International Trade Lawyer of the Year
- The Legal 500 Canada: International Trade
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada