Paul Conlin focuses on international trade, investment issues and government contracting. He regularly appears before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal in anti-dumping, countervailing duty, safeguard and government procurement proceedings. Paul advises clients on foreign investment, import and export regulation, as well as CETA, CUSMA and WTO obligations and disputes. He is one of the very few lawyers in private practice in Canada to have argued before a WTO dispute panel.
Prior to forming Conlin Bedard, Paul was a partner in a large international law firm.
He is recognized in numerous publications as one of Canada's leading international trade lawyers, including a prestigious "Band 1" ranking in Chambers Global. Paul is also recognized as one of Canada’s leading public procurement and government contracts lawyers.
Paul is the current Chair of the Canadian International Trade Tribunal Advisory Committee and is on Canada’s roster of panelists for CUSMA disputes. He is recognized in numerous publications as one of Canada's leading international trade and public procurement and government contracts lawyers.
He also advises clients on all aspects of federal, provincial and municipal government contracting in Canada, including teaming agreements, strategic planning, bid preparation, contract negotiation, regulatory compliance, contract audits, bid challenges and related litigation. He has represented clients in several of the largest dollar-value procurements in Canada over the past decade.
Paul has broad experience representing clients that produce controlled goods and technology. He assists with developing compliance programs, responding to customs audits, obtaining security clearances and export permits, and satisfying other regulatory requirements. He also advises on Canadian foreign ownership and control restrictions in regulated sectors such as communications and cultural industries.
- LL. B., University of Ottawa
- M.A., Norman Paterson School of International Affairs
- B.A. (Hons.), Carleton University
- Bar of Ontario
Memberships and activities
- Law Society of Upper Canada
Ranking and Recognition
- Chambers Global: International Trade/WTO and Public Procurement
- The International Who's Who of Public Procurement Lawyers
- The International Who's Who of Trade and Customs Lawyers
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: International Trade Regulation
- Best Lawyers in Canada: International Trade and Finance Law and Ottawa Public Procurement Lawyer of the Year (2013)
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada